Sunday, July 12, 2026

2026.07.12.That they may all be one...even as We are One



United, Not Divided 

John 17:20-23; 1 Cor. 11:17-22, 27-33

The other day I was taking out the trash and it was the last bag that Melissa had given me, including some a spoiled egg. I thought to myself, the last one in is a rotten egg.

It reminded me of overhearing my grandsons talking to each other about one being a rotten egg.

At the Lord’s Supper, there is a past tense, where we remember what Christ did for us;

There is a future tense when we desire to share communion again with the Lord and proclaim his death until he comes

And there is a present tense, in which we seek to live for Christ and keep communion with each other.

What Christ prayed for us, He prayed for Himself, His disciples, and for those who would believe in the future.

There are seven key requests Jesus made to the Father in His High Priestly prayer. The sixth request is the first of  two which Jesus requested for all disciples of all time.

If you were to outline the prayer of Jesus in John 17, you could have a THREE part summary of

Jesus praying for Himself, FIVE VERSES;

Jesus praying for His disciples and the early believers, FOURTEEN VERSES;

And Jesus praying for future believers, SEVEN VERSES.

But another outline would be the seven prayer requests Jesus gave to the Father.

When I was in Killeen, our pastor of over 2,000 people at least on the role would lead in prayer meeting and I would tell people if you really wanted to know the heart of your pastor, come pray with him.

I would say that still is true. Come pray with us on Wednesday nights. But what about Jesus. How can we get to know him? By His prayer requests.

1.  In John17, Jesus had SEVEN prayer requests (John 17:1–24)

One request was for Himself (17:1-5)

FOUR requests were for the disciples and early believers (17:11, 13, 15, 17)   

TWO requests for those “who will believe” (17:20-24)

When He prayed for Himself, He really only had one Request, that the father would glorify the Son.

When He prayed for the Disciples and early believers, He prayed for Unity (11), For Joy (13),  for Protection (15), and for their Sanctification (17);

When He prayed for future believers, he prayed for Unity (20-23), and that we would all be able to join him in glory where we will be able to see his glory (24).

Did you notices that Two out of the 7 prayer requests were for unity.

2. Two of the seven requests dealt with UNITY(John 17:11, 20-23)

Two Major Passages on Keeping Unity:

Matt. 5:23-26

 

Matt. 18:15-17

The first writing of the Lord’s Supper was not in the Gospels but in first Cor. 11. We read that passage at the beginning, but some in Corinth were truly being divisive. They would come to the church to drink wine in excess to the point where they were drunk and others would come and eat all of the food, to the exclusion of others going away hungry.

3. Communion reminds us to come in purity, forgiveness, love, and unity.

1 Cor. 11:17-22

17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you. 20 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper. 21 For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.
1 Cor. 11:27-33

 27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.