Believe in the Church: Christ is the big picture
The proverb of “You can’t see the forest because of the trees” means that we often miss the overall picture because of the details. The Lordship of Jesus Christ in the church is paramount. The needs of the individual members, though important, must come under the direction of the overall leadership of Christ in accomplishing His purpose.
Believe it or not, not everyone is always happy about everything that goes on at the church. Sometimes people stop giving. Sometimes people start griping. Others stop coming. Paul said we need to not be infants but rather mature, speaking the truth, but in love so that we can grow and build up the body in love, all under the headship of Christ (Eph. 4:15-16).
Peter's confession that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, found in Matt 16:13-19, is the first reference by Christ to the church. The centrality of Christ is the rock on which Jesus built the church. Just as there were three analogies to the church on our interdependence on each other, there are three analogies to our dependency on Christ--He is the Head, He is the Bridegroom, and He is the Cornerstone.
While evangelism and ministry are important, our chief end is to bring glory to Jesus Christ through His church.
In the previous devotional, we saw the interdependence we have as a church--we need each other. More importantly, we are dependent on Christ, and we obviously need Him. Continuing the analogies of the church, our dependence on Christ shows:
1. The Church is a Body (1 Cor. 12) with Christ the Head.
2. The Church is a Bride (Eph. 5) with Christ the Bridegroom.
3. The Church is a Building (1 Corinthians 3) with Christ the Cornerstone.
Chapter 6 Believe Outline
1. Covenant Established (Gen. 12:1-9, 15:1-21)
2. Confession Expressed (Matt. 16:13-19)
3. Community Emerges (Acts 1:1-11; 2:1-41)
4. Commission Enlarges (Acts 8:1-8, 14-17, 25; 9:31)
5. Congregation Expands To Gentiles (Acts 11:1-18)
6. Conversions to Ends of the Earth (Acts 13:1-3, 38-52)
7. Call to Church Explained (Eph. 4:1-16)
.....and Evaluated (Rev. 2:1-7)