18 (pt. 2). The Supply of Nourishment: "a table before me"

Psalm 23:5a

March 22


I saw these sheep the other day while in Waco with my son and
daughter-in-law and grandson. 
By now (perhaps long before now), many of you reading this may say this is way too much analysis. Perhaps, but I simply share what God shares with me. I love the 23rd Psalm, perhaps as much as I love the Gospel of John. Hence I write as though something, perhaps His great love, compels me, not really caring who reads this or what is thought of my rambling writings. Lesson 18 became way too long, so I expanded this part of verse 5 as 5a, part 2.
The Provision: God provides a table of spiritual nourishment. Nowhere in the Old Testament is the word table used for a “tableland” of grass. Clearly the table is symbolic parable for spiritual food which the Lord prepared for me. This “table” is filled with abundant spiritual nourishment. When Peter professed his love for Christ, in his three-fold restoration at the Sea of Galilee found in John 21, Christ responded with one command “Feed My lambs…shepherd My sheep…Feed My sheep.”

            The Apostle Paul also was concerned that the church needed to be protected and fed in Acts 20:28: “Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, over which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers to feed the church of God.”

            And if that were not enough, Peter also urges the pastors who read his epistle to “feed the flock of God” (1 Peter 5:2). God will feed us through our pastors and spiritual leaders, but most of all, through His Good Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ.


The Place: God places the table in front of His sheep. 

            We already saw that the Shepherd prepared a table beforehand, but this “before me” is not so much of a time but rather a place. The word before means “In front of my face and before my very eyes,”  It is in this place that the Shepherd shows me the table of nourishment He has prepared for me. God demonstrates the place of His provision in the parable of the separation of the sheep and the goats, found in Matthew 25:34 – “Then the King shall say to (the sheep) at His right hand, Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.”

            For those who reject Christ, there is another prepared place, but it was prepared for the devil and his demons. “Then He shall say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels” (Matthew 25:41).

            Where is that kingdom place, that spiritual inheritance? He has prepared it in front of me, even though I cannot see it with my physical eyes. Jesus said in Luke 17:20-21, “The kingdom of God does not come with observation;  nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.” 

“Dear Shepherd, before my spiritual eyes, I see a table of heavenly food prepared.
May I feast at your banqueting table. Amen.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 Peace -- Where do I find strength to battle anxiety and fear?

Session 16: Biblical Community -- Do I "have to" go to church?

17: Spiritual Gifts -- No Excuse To Not Share Your Story